If you’re wondering how to make your resume stand out, it’s a matter of managing your resume information content quality. The good news is that taking the time to improve your resume quality will be worth the effort. The less good news is that you really do need to know what you’re doing.
How to make your resume stand out, basics
Before we give you the five tips, you need to understand some basic principles and what is meant by “standing out”:
- Resumes are used in a competitive environment – This means that your resume has to deliver better quality information to stand out.
- Stand out information is information which is above the benchmarks for simply matching job criteria. Your information needs to show performance indicators and achievements.
- Resume formatting has a lot to do with the success or failure of your resume. If your resume hasn’t been getting results, you may need to switch to another resume format.
- Best practice resume writing is based on delivering high-value information. To make your resume stand out, you have to do more than just go through the motions.
Five tips to make your resume stand out
Keep the resume basics in mind while reading these tips:
- Keep your resume well organized and easy to read. Most people don’t. The easier your resume is to read, the easier it will be writing and editing resume, too, another consideration.
- Use simple sentences and remove unnecessary words. Most resumes include a certain amount of repetition, and “filler” materials which were really do not add anything of value to your resume.
- Pay close attention to your presentation formatting. Check out the latest formatting examples online, and also the new generation of resume templates. Good formatting makes writing your resume very straightforward and very much improved your overall presentation.
- Use bullet points, text inserts, and other formatting devices to improve space management. Using advanced formatting means that you can include a lot of extra materials, including graphics, to make your resume stand out.
- Make sure that you write a new resume to target all the specific requirements for the job for which you are applying. This will improve the quality of your resume significantly, and also increase your chances of being accepted for an interview.
Putting the five tips into practice – Upgrading your resume
Five tips above are actually quite easy to put into practice. Your new stand out resume will take far less effort to write than your old resume.
This is the easy way to upgrade your resume:
- Draft a basic resume with all your must-have information on a new resume format or template. You can also use our civil engineer resume sample as a checklist.
- When writing each section of your resume, make sure that the information in your resume correctly and accurately targets required job skills, experience, and qualifications.
- Use formatting techniques to manage space, including bullet point lists, graphics, another inserts.
- Make sure that you include good performance indicators and achievements in your resume.
- Quality check your resume information for typos, et cetera.
Images are taken from: gstatic.com, collegeprepllc.com.
If you’d like more information about how to make your resume stand out, check this link here at .